Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Musuem
Troutner’s Store for Men was an institution on Route 66. It dominated Second Street in downtown Winslow beginning in 1943 when Wayne L. Troutner opened a dry cleaning shop. His curvy cowgirl signs were placed all over the country, prompting thousands of curious tourists to seek his place of business. His store sold men’s clothing and shoes, and he even bottled his own men’s cologne, naming it “Essence of 66.” For more information on Winslow’s history, visit www.oldtrailsmuseum.org.