By Linda Kor –
The Holbrook School District will be receiving two new school buses for the next school year following the governing board’s approval of the purchase Feb. 14. The school district encompasses more than 1,500 square miles and transports students approximately 2,247 miles each school day. The 84-passenger buses will be purchased for the 2012-13 school year using federal Impact Aid funds.
The board also gave approval for funds in the amount of $2,500 to cover meals and awards for the annual Holbrook High School Academic Awards Banquet. This event is held to present scholarships to high school students, recognize district retirees, and recognize outstanding staff and community members. This year, each student who will be receiving an academic award will be presented with a meal ticket. All other school personnel and community members will be required to pay approximately $8 for the evening meal. The banquet will be held on May 15 in the Hulet multi-purpose facility.
In other business, the board:
* Approved for final adoption the following supplemental literature books for the HHS English Department: My Freshman by Rebekah Nathan; Uglies by Scott Westerfeld; The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins; and The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.
* Approved Northland Pioneer College courses for HHS credit toward graduation.
* Authorized the acceptance of a Race to the Top grant in the amount of $65,064 and the development of a preliminary scope of work to be submitted to the Arizona Department of Education signifying the district as a participating district in the Race to the Top grant program.
* Approved the modified HHS senior class community service project.
* Authorized the participation of Holbrook Junior High School students in the Arizona Youth Risk Survey. The purpose of this study is to gather information from students that allow for data-driven planning prevention and intervention programs to combat such problems as alcohol use, other drug use, and violence in our schools and communities.
* Authorized the support staff employment of Brice Gamma, assistant warehouse/custodian; Don Tyler, HHS assistant softball coach; Josh Hatch, HHS assistant track coach; Tim Yazzie, HJHS game official; and Lelia Demuth, HHS assistant track coach.
* Authorized the resignation of Gene Mitchell, HHS night custodian.
* Approved extra duty for Dave Wright, HHS assistant track coach; Monica Fancher, substitute secretary; and Delmar Johnson, HHS assistant softball coach.
* Approved gifts and donations of an antique music stand to the George Gardner Performing Arts Center and funds totaling $150.
* Approved professional leave for employees, including Kyle Gardner, Mesa, Arizona Music Educators Association Conference, Feb. 2-4, at an estimated cost of $206, plus use of a district vehicle; Dave Wright and Cary Simpson, Las Vegas, Soccer Champions Coaches Clinic, March 10-12, at an estimated cost of $1,321, plus a district vehicle; Judy Jones, Flagstaff, Sales and Use Tax Workshop, Feb. 21, at an estimated cost of $206, plus a district vehicle; Teri White, Snowflake, Career Tech meeting, Jan. 18, at an estimated cost of a district vehicle; Garry McDowell, Mesa, Risk Management Summit, Feb. 10, at an estimated cost of $200; and Heidi Hunsaker and Beth Self, Phoenix, Organization of American Kodály Educators National Conference, March 15-17, at an estimated cost of $1,047, plus a district vehicle.
Cindy Percy, Daniel Mitchell, Lance Phaturos, Dan Nielson, Paul Demuth, JoAnn DeWitt, Cheryl Carlson, Justin Madden and Donna Campbell, Flagstaff, Feb. 2, March 6 and April 4, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports training, at an estimated cost of a district vehicle; Cindy Percy, Flagstaff, University of Arizona counselor meeting, Feb. 23; Donna Campbell, Phoenix, Student Assistant Program Coordinator Training for S3 Grant, Feb. 6, at an estimated cost of a district vehicle; and Connie Gover and Carey Kester, Ganado, Northeastern Arizona Regional Transition Training, March 27, estimated cost of $20, plus a district vehicle.
Connie Gover and Karalyn Reidhead, Phoenix, Special Education Law in Arizona, March 2, at an estimated cost of $620.69, plus a district vehicle; Connie Gover, Karalyn Reidhead, Gabriel Madrone, Vicky Craig, Cary Simpson, Tobias Herndon, Dana Hendrix, Stephanie Bridegam, Jon Hansen and Carey Kester, Snowflake, Autism Training, Feb. 3, at an estimated cost of a district vehicle; Charles Haussman, Prescott, Local Directors Training, Feb. 1 and 2, at an estimated cost of $170, plus a district vehicle; Garry McDowell, Scottsdale, Preparing for Bond and Override Elections, Feb. 9, at an estimated cost of $40; Lea Gishie and Peggy Redmon, Laughlin, Nev., Education Technology Consortium Annual Conference, Feb. 8-10, estimated cost of $700, plus a district vehicle; Robbie Koerperich, Annette Rothman, Faith Caffey, Lou Ann McLaws, Mari Smithson, Jeff Strong, Jeri McKinnon, Jami Skevington, Tucson, Beyond Textbooks, Feb. 9 and 10, at an estimated cost of $2,016, plus district vehicles; Robin Stradling, Phoenix, Schoolmaster Training, Feb. 9 and 10, at an estimated cost of $672, plus a district vehicle; and Connie Gover, Karalyn Reidhead and Dana Hendrix, Phoenix, Individualized Education Program Meeting, Feb. 8, at an estimated cost of $81, plus a district vehicle.
Charles Gover and Tanya Phaturos, Phoenix, Creating Enhancing and Empowering 21st Century Schools, Feb. 14, at an estimated cost of $438, plus a district vehicle; Janelle Chee and Melissa John, Acoma, N.M., Navajo Nation Johnson-O’Malley Regional Meeting, Feb. 28-March 1, at an estimated cost of $530; Ginny Novell, Tempe, Robotics STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), April 14, at an estimated cost of $500; Jody Good, Las Vegas, Nev., Nike Coach of the Year, Feb. 17-19, at an estimated cost of $100, plus a district vehicle; Renee Smith and Alfred Clark, Prescott, Face 2 Face Conference, March 28-30, at an estimated cost of $796, plus a district vehicle.
* Approved expenditures and revolving fund vouchers in the amount of $1,502,241.96.