By Sam Conner –
The Winslow School District Governing Board met June 6, and approved the hiring of 10 new employees, the transfers of seven and resignations of four personnel. In other business the board heard a presentation by Dave Thompson of the First Lego League on the program at Bonnie Brennan Magnet School. Also approved was a new schedule at Winslow High School that should provide more options for students.
The board approved the hiring of Nathan Adams as an elementary band teacher at Washington School, Tyler Allen as a band teacher at both Winslow Junior High School and Winslow High School, James Anway as a fifth grade magnet school teacher at Bonnie Brennan School, Wes Baron as an English teacher at WHS, Kathy Ann Dones as a first grade teacher at Jefferson School, Denise Estudillo as a federal programs coordinator for the district, Shannon Elson as a special education teacher at WHS, Eden Goding as a fifth grade magnet school teacher at Bonnie Brennan School, Tyler McConnell as a high needs special education teacher at WHS and Carleen Walton as assistant support forces coach at WHS.
Transfers were approved for Billie Avalar from fourth grade teacher at Washington School to sixth grade magnet school teacher at Bonnie Brennan School, Heather Carrell from part-time classroom aide at Jefferson School to library and media technician at Bonnie Brennan School, Danelle Garner from fourth grade magnet school teacher to third grade magnet school teacher at Bonnie Brennan School, Scott Larsen from technology specialist to student data technician for the district, Jonnie Vargas from alternate classroom aide at WHS to certified nursing assistant at Washington School, Rudy Aragon from route bus driver to trip bus driver and Karri Matlow from part-time bus driver to alternate classroom aide at WHS.
Resignations were accepted from Becky Barris as head softball coach at WHS effective May 13, from Jessica Fugatt as certified nursing assistant at Washington School effective May 24, from Diane Hancock as high needs special education classroom aide at Washington School and WJHS effective May 24 and from Jennifer Sibley as federal programs director for the 2012-13 school year effective June 30.
In other action June 6, the board:
* Approved acceptance of a donation of $94 to Washington School from the Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night.
* Approved a leave of absence for medical reasons for LaRita Nelson.
* Approved a resolution authorizing signatures for statements of assurance.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the execution of warrants between school board meetings during the 2012-13 school year.
* Approved requests to authorize and establish both checking and savings accounts at Wells Fargo and the Bank of the West.
* Authorized requesting that the Navajo County Board of Supervisors allow the investment of district money for the 2012-13 fiscal year and the interest apportionment of district funds.
* Approved requests to Wells Fargo for corporate credit card use and the setting of credit limits, approval of sole source lists for the next school year and ratification of retirement contracts.