Jul 232012

On Jan. 15, 2011, Travis and Rashelle Price of St. Johns received the shock of their lives when their normal, happy 2-year-old son awoke having seizures. He had what appeared to be the stomach flu earlier that day, but during the night he had developed a fever of 104° and then seizures that prompted the couple to call for an ambulance.
As paramedic Dave Kirk and EMT Gary Liston took over they determined that the seizure appeared to be from low blood sugar. Glucose was administered as the Prices looked on in disbelief; Chase had never had seizures be-fore. The lack of blood sugar in their son’s body had eaten up all steroids in his system. The fever, low blood sugar or steroids could cause seizures on their own, and the small boy was experiencing all three at once.
Chase was rushed to Summit Regional Medical Center, where the medical staff attempted to stabilize him to be transported to Phoenix Children’s Hospital. He was given anti-seizure medication in flight, which seemed to calm the seizures, but upon arrival at PCH they returned with a vengeance.
As medical staff worked to control the seizures, Chase went into what is called Status Epilepticus, a continuous seizure that has only a 50 percent survival rate. Due to his condition, Chase was put on a ventilator in a drug-induced coma. The boy’s parents watched over their son for nine days until he was finally able to be awakened. Another blow came to the family as they realized that Chase had suffered a stroke and was unable to move his right side at all, the effects leaving him unable to smile, sit up or speak.
After four months of intense therapy at PCH, Chase was able to walk with a severe limp and say a few words, but his right arm and hand didn’t work at all. The Prices returned home and continue to receive therapy for their son through White Mountain Therapy and the St. Johns School District. Through the care of those therapists, Chase is now able to lift his right arm, verbalize more words, and has improved balance and walking skills. This, com-bined with the best of therapy, the love of family, has helped Chase make remarkable improvements.
The Prices would like other parents to be aware that children also can have strokes and the signs to watch for. If a child is having multiple or extended seizures, medical attention should be sought immediately to determine the cause and receive proper medication. If a stroke is occurring due to a blood clot, there is only a short period of time to break up the clot before severe damage can occur. The more that is known about childhood strokes, the less likely it will happen to another precious child.

Photo courtesy of the Price family
Chase Price was just 2 years old when he suffered a debilitating stroke. Now with the love of family and the help of therapists, he is slowly improving. One of Chase’s dreams was to ride a horse, and on Mother’s Day, that dream came true. The family offers thanks to Peggy McCorkle, Marissa Simpson, Kay McDivittt and Yellowhair Buckles for making his dream come true.