By Sam Conner
Roberta Hadnot was elected president of the Winslow Unified School Governing Board at the Jan. 9 board meeting. Loren Sadler was named vice president and Dodie Montoya, clerk.
The board went into executive session to discuss personnel matters and issued a contract to Superintendent Doug Watson following that session.
In other action, the board:
* Approved Zachary French as Earth Science student teacher and Jessica Demonthort as Biology student teacher at Winslow High School.
WHS Principal Chris Gilmore noted that the new student teachers were staying at La Posada, compliments of owner Allen Affeldt.
* Approved acceptance of $57 to Jefferson School and $86 to Bonnie Brennan School from Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night.
* Approved out of state travel for one employee to Salt Lake City, Utah, for the annual Association for Career and Technical Education Region V Conference.
* Approved the revised principal’s evaluation form.
The new document is seen as a significant improvement, according to Watson.
* Issued a resolution regarding the determination of yearly school calendars.
Watson said that the Christmas holidays are the key to having a consistent calendar, and that the school year will always start on a Monday and end on a Thursday.
Board Member Marian Scheid began the comments by saying that she was happy for the pleasure of being able to work with the same board, which is concerned about what is good for the students and the teachers. That sentiment was agreed to by all of the board, the superintendent and assistant superintendent in their comments.
Watson also noted that all employees would see two percent more taken from their checks for Social Security, and that there may be future cuts in funding depending upon what the federal government does regarding the “fiscal cliff.”
By Sam Conner