Jan 252013

Edwin Clyde Harbour, 73, died unexpectedly on Thursday night, Jan. 10, 2013, at Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center in Show Low. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 24, at the Eighth Avenue Ward Chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2895 S. Eighth Ave. in Yuma.
Ed, as he was affectionately known, was born on Nov. 26, 1939, in Phoenix to the late Thomas Luther and Mary Maxine (Evans) Harbour.
When he was a kid, Ed quickly learned how to play football, a sport in which he excelled his entire life. While in high school, he played for Antelope High School in Wellton, and was one of its star athletes. After his graduation with Antelope High School’s Class of 1959, Ed went on to attend Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff and continued playing football there, as well. He truly was a gifted football player and, as he grew older, he also enjoyed watching a good football game on TV or from the sidelines. His love for the game was a great motivation for him to become a Pop Warner Football coach in Yuma, a position he enjoyed for many, many years. Also while attending NAU Ed was a member of Sigma Phi fraternity.
In 1961, Ed enlisted in the United States Navy and served faithfully until his honorable discharge came in 1963.
On April 3, 1965, Ed’s life forever changed when he married the love of his life, Linda Kay Leaverton, in Phoenix. (That was a pretty remarkable feat, in that when they met, she was 3 and he was 8, he would throw rocks at her to make her go home. As they grew, their love blossomed.) Their marriage was later solemnized in the Mesa Temple of the LDS church in March 1989, and they were the best of friends throughout their nearly 48-year marriage.
Ed had a huge fun streak within him. He looked for the joy in life at every turn. As a young man, Ed be-came a bull rider. He rode 11 bulls during his rodeo days and never regretted a single moment. His love for bull riding was the inspiration for his own son, Jay, to become a bull rider himself and beat his dad’s record. Jason did when he rode his 12th bull! A true cowboy at heart, Ed loved to ride and care for his several horses through the years. Being the outdoorsman that he was, Ed also enjoyed work atop his tractor, farming. He would work everybody’s alfalfa borders, whether they wanted him to or not. He saw what needed to be done and just did it.
He was a well-loved friend and neighbor to everyone in his neighborhood. Twice a year, he and Linda would sponsor a neighborhood picnic, “when the leaves fell off the tree and then when they grew back on.” His son, Jay and “special family member” Bill would then entertain the neighborhood by playing in the band. Those were mighty happy days in their lives and everyone will remember the great man that he was.
Ed thought that each of his children was special in their own way. However, his daughter Stefanie “never did anything wrong in his eyes.” He truly loved his kids, and he taught them each to become respected and responsible adults through his own example.
He loved spending time at the family cabin in Heber and thoroughly looked forward to spending the warmest months of the year in the beautiful, clear mountains of the Mogollon Rim. Also during the summer months, Ed loved teaching kids, especially his grandchildren, how to water ski at Senator’s Wash, as well as on the Colorado River in Yuma. A good time was always promised to be had by all. This man, in the eyes of his grandkids, could do no wrong. He was loved so much by them.
Ed was a dedicated family man throughout his entire life. He worked hard, “by the sweat of his brow,” to be a good provider to his wife and children. In 1966, Ed began a long and successful career working for Arizona Public Service Co. He started out as a welder in Tempe and by the time he retired in 1984, he was superintendent over gas construction in Yuma. Then from 1985 through 2000, Ed worked faithfully for Southwest Gas, also in Yuma. He was truly an expert in his field, and many learned from his skills and example. His community of peers always looked up to him for the caliber of man that he was, and he will be greatly missed by everyone who had the privilege to call him “friend.” None, however, will miss him more than those within his own family.
Ed’s family wants you to know how grateful they are for having him in their lives. He truly lived to help others in need. The last gift Ed was able to give was through the ultimate gift of himself, the gift of life. He was a donor for Arizona Donor Network and, through his contribution, many dozens of people will benefit from that goodness. His family finds a great deal of comfort knowing that his death was not in vain and that, from him, the sufferings of many shall be lifted. May God bless them all!
Survivors include his wife, Linda Harbour of Yuma and Heber; two children, Stefanie (Chris) Marchant of Yuma and Jason (Jamie) Harbour, also of Yuma; five grandchildren, Clint Croutch, Daniel Croutch, Regina Elder, Isabella Marchant and Kyle Harbour. Ed is also survived by his special family member, William (Rebecca) Melton of Yuma.
Along with his parents, Ed was preceded in death by a dear family friend, Justin Levi Melton, 10 years ago.
Memorial contributions in Ed’s name to The Yuma Pop Warner Football Association, P.O. Box 2002, Yuma, Ariz. 85366, or The American Diabetes Association, 5333 N. 7th St., Suite B-212, Phoenix, Ariz. 85014 have been suggested by his family.
Owens Livingston Mortuary of Show Low was in charge of the arrangements.