By Sam Conner
Members of the Winslow Unified School District Governing Board approved the moving of all third grade classes to Bonnie Brennan School and all fifth grade classes to Washington School for the next school year at their Feb. 20 meeting.
Superintendent Doug Watson explained plans for the next several years regarding class placements.
In other action, the board:
* Held the second reading of a policy on the discipline, suspension and dismissal of support staff members.
* Approved several hirings, including Corri Havlicek as a part-time aide at Jefferson School; Michael Young, part-time bus driver; Danni Stephenson, substitute bus driver; Richard Smith and Mickie Baca, assistant varsity softball coaches; Daphne Barton, assistant junior varsity softball coach; Brian Wilcox, junior varsity softball coach; Lief Seed and Brandon Guzman, assistant track coaches; and Lynne Sawyer as seventh grade girls basketball coach.
* Approved the transfers of Michael Montoya Jr. from part-time bus driver to bus attendant/driver, and Rudy Aragon from part-time bus driver to warehouse aide.
* Approved the resignations or retirements of Jefferson School first grade teacher Lauren Klein, effective May 30; Washington School special education classroom aide Mary Faith Dorame, effective May 30; bus attendant/driver Nicholas Reyes Jr., effective Feb. 15; Jefferson School second grade teacher Kimberly Gonzales, effective May 30; substitute bus driver Melissa Cavasos, effective Feb. 4; and Athletic Director Don Petranovich, effective June 13.
* Approved acceptance of $57 for Bonnie Brennan School, $52 for Jefferson School and $48 for Washington School from Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night.
* Approved out of state travel for two employees to attend the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) conference scheduled March 15-19 in Chicago, Ill.
* Held the first reading of a number of policies, including advertising in schools, evaluation of professional staff members, and posting and distribution of promotional materials.
First readings were also held on Arizona School Board Association Policy Services Advisories on graduation requirements, admission of transfer students, interscholastic sports, and health issues dealing with immunity and infectious viruses, which were explained by Watson.
* Approved a request for construction of footing and a retaining wall at Bonnie Brennan School by BMJS Contracting Inc. for $22,517.
* Awarded a $13,100 contract for placement of a wrought iron fence from the warehouse to Winslow Junior High School to Buffalo Fence and Barn Company Inc.
* Approved the Ledbetter Law Firm and Forensic Engineering Inc. as sole providers of legal services and testing during litigation regarding the football field.
The litigation was said to already be underway.
* Approved an addendum and agreement with the Navajo County Special Services Consortium for the 2012-2014 school years.
* Approved elimination of the courses Childhood Development/Preschool and Early Childhood Professions from Winslow High School’s curriculum. These classes reportedly drew few students.
By Sam Conner