By Julie Wiessner
Teachers in the Winslow School District will receive a slight addition to their salary for the upcoming school year. According to Superintendent Doug Watson, the increase will come from a stipend increase of $500, with an additional $500 coming from the School Improvement Fund.
Although this is not an increase in salary schedules for the 2013-14 school year, which will remain the same as last year, the stipends effectively give the teachers $1,000 more to work with than last year’s income.
In the April 17 school governing board meeting it was explained that there will be no increase to the salary schedule this year in part due to a reduction in enrollment, with the district reporting 35 fewer students enrolled, and in part due to experienced teachers retiring. According to Watson, the state has a formula to determine a portion of the funding received by the school district based on the total number of years of experience that the teachers in the district have. The district has had a significant number of teachers retire over the past several years who have been replaced by a less experienced staff. This replacement has resulted in a loss of $150,000 in funding.
In other action, the board:
* Authorized the issuance of contracts and work agreements for employees previously approved for rehire.
* Approved vouchers for routine school district needs in the amount of $746,575.72.
* Approved hiring several teachers, including Jessica Demontfort, biology; Zachary French, science; Briana Huskon, third grade; Melina Mahoney, Winslow High School English; Damon McHenry, fourth grade; and Batriel Nava, third grade.
* Approved the resignations of Aza Thompson, WHS biology teacher; Christine Smith, WHS English teacher; Briana Conaster, WHS English teacher; Laura Carrell, classroom aide; and Nathan Adams, elementary school music teacher.
* Approved the retirement of Connie Brennan School Principal Peggy Elrod, effective June 30, with Elrod retaining her position as principal as a retire-return to work employee.
* Accepted $383 in donations from Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night and from Pooh’s Playhouse for a fourth grade field trip.
* Approved the open enrollment capacities plan for the 2013-14 school year.
Final enrollment numbers will not be available until applications come in.
* Approved the salary schedule for retire-return to work employees, whose salary schedules will also remain the same as last year.
* Approved travel for one employee to attend Navajo Cultural Training scheduled April 21-24 in Farmington, N.M., at an estimated cost of $300.
* Approved Upslope Solutions, LLC as the sole source provider for employee discipline training for administrators.
By Julie Wiessner