By Julie Wiessner
Navajo County Superintendent of Schools Linda Morrow swore in Joseph City Unified School District’s new board members, Jim Edwards and Linda Kor-Fisher, at the district’s first meeting of the new school year Tuesday evening. They filled vacancies created by the resignations of Ralph Bushman and Sheri Hill. A total of five applicants were interviewed, with the final selection of new board members resting with Morrow.
The board, including Eldon Larson, Julie Davis, Jennie Miller and the new members, held elections and unanimously chose Davis as president and Miller as clerk.
The board also considered a letter presented by Velma Perkins regarding cancellation of life insurance retirement benefits for retired employees. After some discussion, the board directed District Business Manager Steve Mills to check into other possibilities for life insurance for those retirees. Mills said, “It is important to understand that the group of people involved with this benefit are all retirees and have not been cut off. They have until June 30, 2014, and between now and then I will be looking into some alternatives for them.”
In other action Aug. 13, the board:
* Approved policy changes recommended by the Arizona School Boards Association related to professional staff probationary and continuing status, professional staff assignments and transfers, evaluation of professional staff members, salary deductions, emergencies, retirement of professional staff members, graduation requirements and student discipline.
* Approved appointments of Teddi Baird as Future Business Leaders of America sponsor for eighth grade; Larry Baldwin, Joseph City Junior High School assistant football coach; Laurie Bowler, North Central Accreditation chairperson, National Honor Society sponsor and senior class sponsor; John Bryant, Joseph City High School head track coach; Kendra Cahoon, JCJHS assistant softball coach; and Julie Clifford, Career and Technical Education (CTE) co-coordinator.
Corum Scott, JCHS junior varsity volleyball coach and freshman class sponsor; Joseph Hansen, eighth grade class sponsor; Kourtney Hendricks, senior class sponsor; Daniel Hutchens, special education director; Eric Miller, freshman class sponsor; Laura Mitchell, junior class sponsor; Frances Monzingo, CTE co-coordinator and graduation coordinator; Darrel Mosier, eighth grade volleyball coach; Lillian Neal, junior class sponsor; and Eugene Peplowski, JCHS band/choral director, auditorium coordinator and freshman sponsor.
Robert Pugh, JCHS Student Council sponsor and sophomore class sponsor; Joe Richards, JCJHS Student Council sponsor, yearbook sponsor and senior class sponsor; Kay Rush, JCHS assistant track coach; Mandie Shaw, food service director; Glenna Spurlock, seventh grade class sponsor; Mike Sterkowitz, JCHS junior varsity boys basketball coach and seventh grade sponsor; Kimber Tuckfield, cheer coach; Richard Vargas, substitute teacher; and Aaron Westover, junior class sponsor.
* Approved returning substitute teachers/supporting staff, including Mandy Bennett, Tressa Blake, Kari Bushman, Tiffany Bushman, Tonya Crosby, Cat Hansen, Theresa Holmes, Julie Layden, Kelly Martin, Nyna Ortiz, Ester Patterson, Barretta Perkins, Gayla Smith and Theresa Van Hemert.
* Approved substitute custodial/maintenance workers, including Mandy Bennett, Rosita James, Dana Johnstun, Sam J. Johnstun, Sandra Lewis, Charmayne Morris, Dorothy Morris, Janella Perkins, Mikayla Rogers and Judy Young.
* Approved Adam Lee and Esther Patterson as substitute bus drivers.
* Approved Lynette Baldwin, Gerri Buckley, Mary Davis, Theresa VanHemert and Christine Williams as substitute food service workers.
* Approved volunteers Jim Boose and Jim Cooksey, both for JCJHS football; Cari Martineau, JCHS cheer; Amy Miller and Richard Vargas, both in the elementary classroom; and Andrea Miller, JCJHS softball.
* Approved revolving fund vouchers, the student activity fund, and district, auxiliary, student activity and food services budget summaries.
Powered by Max Banner Ads
By Julie Wiessner