By Julie Wiessner
An error made in Average Daily Membership (ADM), or student attendance calculations, in the Winslow School District has cost the district dearly.
On Sept. 18, the district governing board authorized the district to repay $134,913.61 to the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) for fiscal years 2011, 2012 and 2013. The error was spotted in an ADM audit completed recently by the state. The amount will be divided into two payments, one to be paid in 2014 and the other in 2015.
In other matters, the board authorized the district’s attorneys to proceed with litigation involving Field Turf USA regarding artificial turf that has not performed as projected under the warranty the district has with the company.
Remedies offered this far by Field Turf have been unacceptable to the board.
Attempts to contact the Ledbetter Law Firm in Cottonwood, which is representing the district in the matter, for additional comment on the pending litigation were unsuccessful by press time.
The board has authorized its attorneys to take appropriate actions to represent the district, assert the board’s position and further the board’s interests in litigation.
In other action, the board:
* Recognized Employees of the Month Loretta Chischilly, parent liaison at Washington Elementary School, and James Anway, academic coach, for July; and Steve Henling, technology director, and Penny Brimhall, Northern Arizona Vocational Institute of Technology coordinator, for August.
* Approved the hiring of Wilburt Barton as Winslow High School junior varsity cross country coach; Polly Mallot, part-time substitute bus driver; Lavone Brady and Loretta Montano, substitute teachers; Tiffany Beard, Glenda McKenzie and Karen Clay, emergency substitute teachers; and Ernestine Mora, part-time bus aide.
* Approved the transfer of Denise Durnez from special education classroom aide to alternative education aide at WHS; and Mary Patton, from special education teacher at WHS to high needs special education teacher at Washington School.
* Approved volunteers Randy Amavisca for WHS football; Janeen Yazzie, WHS cross country; and Lynette Hodge and Chelsea Delgado, WHS Band.
* Approved the resignations of Karri Matlow as alternative education aide at WHS; Jocabeth Messer, high needs special education teacher, Washington School; Mary Sorensen, bus driver/custodian; and Jennifer Wilbanks, classroom aide, Washington School.
* Accepted donations from Target, Take Charge of Education in the amounts of $28.64 to Bonnie Brennan School, $25.67 to Jefferson Elementary School and $81.55 to Washington School; and from Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night in the amounts of $55 to Jefferson School and $67 to Washington School.
* Approved renewal of the lease agreement with the Northern Arizona Council of Governments Head Start from Sept. 30, 2013, to Sept. 29, 2014.
* Approved renewal of an intergovernmental agreement with the Navajo County Community College District for dual enrollment for the 2013-14 school year.
* Held the first reading of 17 policy changes recommended by the Arizona School Boards Association.
* Approved out of state travel for one employee to attend the Association for Career and Technical Education National Conference scheduled Dec. 3-8 in Las Vegas, Nev.
* Approved transfer of unused Career and Technical Education equipment to the Payson Unified School District.
* Approved expense and revolving fund vouchers.
By Julie Wiessner