Mar 052014

Maurice Eugene “Reese” Webb, 97, of Snowflake passed away on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014. He finally used up all of his nine lives–he should have died at least eight other times in his life because of injuries or illnesses! A viewing will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, March 7, at Pioneer Park Chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Snowflake. An additional viewing will be from 10 to 10:45 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, in the Pioneer Park Chapel, with the funeral services beginning at 11 a.m.
He leaves behind four living children, Eugene Webb, Keith Webb, Patricia Larson and Joyce Brimhall, all of Snowflake; three sons-in-law, R.H. Larson, Dennis Wilkins and Chris Brimhall; three daughters-in-law: Mary Webb, Pam Webb and Rita Webb; 41 grandchildren; 35 grandchildren-in-law; 139 great-grandchildren; six great-grandchildren-in-law; four great-great-grandchildren; and numerous stepchildren, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his wife Luella Ballard Webb, who died in 1977 after 39 years of marriage; three children, Barbara Webb, Steven Webb and Janet Wilkins; and his second wife, Cheryle Sandall Webb, who died in 2013 after 35 years of marriage.
His posterity at the end of 2013 numbered 241!
Up until the time of his death, he read constantly, climbed stairs dangerously, and he could name all of his grandchildren and most of his great-grandchildren. If he couldn’t name them, he could at least tell you who they belonged to. He was pleased to be in several five-generation pictures.
Reese was born in Pinedale on Sept. 13, 1916, to Jonathan Henry Webb and Della Ray Webb, and was the fifth of their 10 children, all of whom preceded him in death but two brothers, Jay Webb and June Webb.
He was raised in a happy home, with his parents taking in several cousins to raise as their own, and had happy memories playing with cousins and friends in the Mesa, Lehi, Apache Junction, Pinedale and Lakeside areas.
Reese had a beautiful singing voice and performed many solos. He was taught by his mother and aunts to dance very early, and was known for sweeping many ladies and young ladies off their feet on the dance floor. He was also famous for his donkey call.
He loved to visit with his future mother-in-law, the widow Julia Ballard, while his future wife Luella Ballard curled her sisters’ and friends’ hair before the dances. He knew that his future wife would be as good a cook and friend as his future mother-in-law.
As a young man, he played many baseball games, but during one fateful game, he threw the ball from centerfield to home plate and suffered a severe injury that resulted in osteomyelitis in his right arm. The doctors at that time wanted to amputate his arm, but his Dad told the doctors that he had lived a good life so they should do everything they could to save the arm.
He had many careers throughout his life, including bus driver, welder, mechanic, sawmill worker, log truck driver, partner in Webb & Sons Sawmill, finance manager, big machinery operator, carpenter, town councilman, member of the irrigation board, beaver rancher, cattle rancher, custodian, sprinkler salesman, landscaper, long-haul truck driver, tractor driver, sheep rancher and hay farmer, but the most important work he did was within the walls of his own home. During all of this time, he served in the LDS church as a counselor in the bishopric in Vernon, Snowflake Stake clerk, ward clerk, missionary, branch president (during his mission in Bogalusa, La.) and home teacher, but his favorite church calling was nursery leader. He also loved to give quarters for special occasions.
His children remember their happy home life. They didn’t take many vacations, but were always working together and playing together. They were raised in a home where love, service and the Gospel of Jesus Christ were taught by example.
Silver Creek Mortuary of Taylor was in charge of the arrangements.