By Tammy Gray
The Snowflake Academy Building will receive new gutters and a front door thanks to savings on other Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) projects.
The Navajo County Board of Supervisors approved spending the remaining funds on the academy building during a meeting held Tuesday. A total of $2,000 will be put toward the improvements.
Deputy Finance Director Mary Springer told the board that the savings came from county staff completing the work on other projects instead of hiring a contractor, such as paving a parking lot and making street improvements. She also noted that the gutters and new front door were in the original plans for the academy building improvements, but could not be completed due to a lack of funds.
“We consolidated the rest of the unused (CDBG) funds and now we can hopefully get gutters on that building,” she said.
The board unanimously approved the request, with District III Supervisor Sylvia Allen noting, “We have stretched these funds a lot. It’s exciting to me when we can take tax dollars and stretch them to get these projects done.”
In other action on March 11, the board:
* Approved a special fireworks display permit for the Heber/Overgaard Chamber of Commerce.
* Approved an agreement with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality that allows local agencies to issue burn permits.
* Approved the sale of two high-mileage county vehicles for $1 each to the White Mountain Youth Corps and Northeast Arizona Training Center.
* Approved the purchase of a 2015 Yukon 4×4 for the sheriff’s office in the amount of $41,598.
* Approved an intergovernmental agreement with the Town of Snowflake for a chip seal project.
* Approved extension of an agreement with WW Cattle Guards for the supply of cattle guards.
* Approved contracts with Brimhall Sand and Rock, Cholla Ready Mix, Dyna Rock and Sand, Hatch Construction and Paving, and Perkins Cinders for roadway material supplies.
* Approved a professional services agreement with Summit Healthcare for medical services for the county jail and juvenile detention center.
The next regular board meeting is set for 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 25, at the county complex in Holbrook.
Powered by Max Banner Ads
By Tammy Gray