By Linda Kor
A request by Winslow School Superintendent Doug Watson to change the structure of reading and English courses at Winslow Junior High School was approved by the district governing board last week. He advised the board that there are currently separate teachers and classes for reading and English, and that he would like to combine these into one class, making it more compatible with Common Core.
WJHS Principal Darlene McCauley explained that one reading teacher would be working with at-risk students, and the other three reading and English teachers would teach reading and writing in two-period blocks. “This would be a great benefit for the students; helping to prepare them for high school and they wouldn’t have to duplicate their work in these subjects,” she said.
The board also approved a contract with Chartwells as a provider of food service for the district for the next five years.
In other action June 4, the board:
* Approved the hiring of Patrick Gaatz as a fifth grade teacher at Washington Elementary School; Danna Hayes, high needs special education teacher, Winslow High School; Berkley Hendricks, social studies teacher, WJHS; Edward Kennedy, career and technical teacher, WJHS; Wayne Lesperance, part-time criminal justice teacher, WHS; Sarah Norby, counselor, WHS; Chelsea Graham, speech coach, WHS; and Paige Kuper, Honor Society sponsor, WHS.
* Approved the transfer of Debra Lopez from academic coach at Washington School to academic coach at WJHS and WHS; Samantha Cox from classroom aide to high needs special education aide at Jefferson Elementary School; Corri Havlicek from part-time classroom aide to high needs special education aide at Jefferson School; and Rozela Davis from high needs special education aide at Jefferson School to special education aide at Washington School.
* Approved the retirements of Sandra Reyes, custodian at WJHS, effective Aug. 22; and Linda Hardy, reading teacher at Washington School, effective May 29.
* Approved non-renewal of the work agreement for the 2014-15 year for Kristal Kinlicheenie, special education classroom aide at Washington School.
* Approved the reduction in force of Kelci White, high needs special education aide at WJHS.
* Approved routine annual financial procedures.
* Approved the 301 Performance Pay Plan.
* Approved the renewal of an intergovernmental agreement with the Northern Arizona Vocational Institute of Technology.
* Approved expense and payroll vouchers totaling $1,425,820.19.