By Linda Kor
Members of the Winslow School District Governing Board bid farewell to Superintendent Doug Watson June 18 after 33 years of service to the district. Watson announced his retirement last August, and has plans to travel and spend time with his grandson. His last day with the district is June 30.
Filling the top position at the district will be Assistant Superintendent Lance Heister, who has held that position for the past four years and has 27 years experience in the field of education.
In other business, the board:
* Authorized the hiring of Peggy Elrod, math teacher, Winslow Junior High School; Jessica Heaton, vocal/music teacher, Winslow High School and WJHS; Shawn Layden, academic coach, Washington Elementary School; and Leah Wischmann, part-time classroom aide, Jefferson Elementary School.
* Authorized the transfer of Rayna Castillo from classroom aide to parent liaison at Bonnie Brennan School; and Pearl Cisneros from high needs special education aide at WJHS to WHS.
* Approved out of state travel for nine employees July 6-10, to Las Vegas, Nev., for the I Love First Grade conference. The trip will be paid for with funds from Move on When Reading.
* Authorized the acceptance of $122 from High Desert Photography to Washington School for photos sold.
* Approved the ratification of expense and payroll vouchers totaling $336,046.