By Linda Kor
During the Jan. 21 meeting of the Winslow School District Governing Board, Winslow High School Principal Chris Gilmore reported that the WHS counseling office received the Recognized ASCA (American School Counselor Association) Model Program (RAMP) Award.
“Approximately 550 schools have earned this distinction, but WHS is only the third school in Arizona. The counseling office is to be commended for all their hard work on behalf of students,” stated Gilmore.
Superintendent Lance Heister announced Tanya Luna as the Classified Employee of the Month for November and Lisa MacLean for the month of December.
Luna is a custodian at Washington School. He noted that she is thorough and conscientious while keeping the school clean and safe for students. “Recently she showed how valuable she is when a co-worker was off work for a time. Ms. Luna did a lot of extra work and kept a great attitude while doing it. She is appreciated,” he said.
MacLean is the administrative assistant in the Special Services Department. “Her professionalism, caring and concern are some of the reasons that Winslow has one of the most successful Special Ed programs around,” stated Heister.
In other business, the board:
* Approved the hiring of Jim MacLean and Wendy Sindel as substitute teachers; Cynthia Russell and Jonnie Lynn Vargas, emergency substitute teacher; Kelli Fifelski, head coach, Richard Smith, varsity assistant, Brian Wilcox, junior varsity coach, all for softball at WHS; Art Griffith, head coach, Ricky Greer, varsity assistant, Scott Corum, junior varsity coach and Jordan Payne, junior varsity assistant, all for baseball at WHS; and Brandon Guzman, head coach, Larissa Richards, assistant coach, Wilburt Barton, assistant coach and Andre LeGate, assistant coach, all for track at WHS.
* Approved the transfer of Michael Young from part-time bus driver to full-time bus driver; and Harriet Cody from substitute bus driver to part-time bus driver.
* Approved volunteers Shawn Smith and Levi Smith as baseball coaches at WHS; and Carlos Zamora as a softball coach at WHS.
* Approved the resignation of Shayna Richards as a math and science teacher at WHS, effective Jan. 5; and Valkyrie Chartier as a special education aid at Bonnie Brennan School, effective Jan. 21.
* Approved donations of $54 to Jefferson School and $68 to Washington School from Arizona Restaurant Systems, Inc. for Sonic Night; and $1,184.40 to Bonnie Brennan School and $680.20 to Jefferson School from Box Tops for Education.
* Approved expense and payroll vouchers totaling $609,955.54.