Looking Back

 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Nov 282015

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum The Hubbell Trading Post in Winslow, shown here in the 1950s, was built in 1918 and remained in business until 1952 as an integral part of commercial trading and warehouse operations in the Southwest. Goods were brought to Winslow by wagon from the reservation and were shipped by Read More…

Nov 122015

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Musuem The Winslow Grammar, later named Lincoln School, opened in 1897 on West Oak Street. The impressive brick building was a source of pride to residents, due in part to the stained glass windows in the classrooms and the beautiful bell tower that summoned generations of students to class. Read More…

Oct 252015

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society This photo was taken from a water tower looking west over Holbrook in 1888. At that time most of the businesses were located south of the railroad tracks, and the train was the only form of transportation if you weren’t on foot or using a horse.

Oct 162015

Photo courtesy of Amber Fish The 1945 Joseph City Junior High School eighth grade class promotion photograph features students with family names that are still prominent in Joseph City, including (left to right) Norma McLaws, Ronnie Heward, Mary Shelley, Wendall Shelley, Maurine Hansen, Eugene Hansen, Nelda Rogers, Buster Turley, Zelda Bushman, Lynn Rogers, Frances Bushman Read More…

Sep 042015

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society The first public school was erected in Holbrook in 1885. It was a 25’x45’ adobe building, and in the beginning 12 girls and 15 boys were registered. Mr. German and Miss Estelle M. Hirstein were teachers there.

Aug 252015
Our History in Photos

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum Ben Williams (in hat) took his children for a hired buggy ride in Winslow Park, which is believed to be in the vicinity of what is now Vargas Park. Ben was part of the Williams trading post family, and co-owned a mercantile in early Winslow with his brother Read More…

Aug 072015

  Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum In the 1930s, downtown Winslow was bustling with business. Establishments that lined Second Street at the time included (left to right) Central Drug, the Palace Hotel, the post office, the Palace of Sweets and Sunset Dairy.

Jul 302015
Our Heritage In Pictures

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society In the July 24 edition of the paper it was noted that this photo is of Andy Blevins (Cooper) and his sister Lila, and that he took part in the Pleasant Valley War, including the ambush of a Tewksbury cabin near Young. That Andy Blevins was the Read More…