Looking Back


 Powered by Max Banner Ads 
Oct 072011
 
Looking Back: Troutner's Store For Men

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Musuem Troutner’s Store for Men was an institution on Route 66. It dominated Second Street in downtown Winslow beginning in 1943 when Wayne L. Troutner opened a dry cleaning shop. His curvy cowgirl signs were placed all over the country, prompting thousands of curious tourists to seek his place Read More…

Oct 052011
 
‘Sawbones And Stethoscopes’ Offers View Of Medicine In Early Winslow

  The Winslow Historical Society will present “The Sawbones and Stethoscopes that Kept ‘em Standin’ on the Corner” from 2 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 8, at the Winslow Visitors Center/Hubbell Trading Post, located at 523 W. Second St. Historical Society members Barb Larremore and Vel Marcotte will present the program, which will feature Read More…

Sep 302011
 
Holbrook High School's Old Main-- 1928

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society Holbrook High School’s Old Main, pictured here in 1928, had that iconic educational institution character typical of schools in the early to mid-20th century era. Members of the last class to complete their four-year high school education at Old Main graduated in the spring of 1979, just Read More…

Sep 232011
 
Winslow's Own Blues Boy

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum At the age of 10, Winslow’s own blues boy, Tommy Dukes, relocated to the area from the state of Mississippi. His musical career, which started at age 13, has resulted in several album recordings, as well as a spot in the Arizona Blues Hall of Fame. Dukes will Read More…

Sep 022011
 
Looking Back: Blue Bird Theater

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society The Blue Bird Theater opened for business Dec. 22, 1922, in the Scorse Building on Navajo Blvd. in Holbrook. The Blue Bird was the city’s first theater, and the first movie to be shown there was “What No Man Knows,” featuring Clara Kimball-Young. The theater played four Read More…

Aug 122011
 
Historic Pic--Winslow Telephone Operators

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum These ladies are sitting at the switchboard in Winslow’s first telephone company office. Service was established there in 1924, and Winslow shared a book listing phone numbers with the towns of Flagstaff and Williams. The location of the first telephone service in Winslow was 216 Kinsley Ave. For Read More…

Aug 052011
 
Historic Picture

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum In January 1917, this group of Winslow men set out on a three-month adventure which took them all throughout Arizona. They carried a camera that recorded many views of them camping, fishing and hunting. The story goes that they were all fired railroaders who needed something to do Read More…

Jul 292011
 
Historic Renegades Car Club

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum The Renegades Car Club was active in the late 1950s and early 1960s in Winslow, and regularly held drag racing events on the runways at Lindbergh Municipal Airport. Officers of the club included (top left photo, front row, left to right) Ronnie Carlson, secretary/treasurer; Johnny Pritcard, publicity officer, Read More…

May 132011
 
Looking Back: Spring Awakening

Photo courtesy of the Old Trails Museum The cantata “The Awakening of Spring” was presented on May 21, 1931, in Winslow, with 400 chil-dren from Washington School making up the cast. The children were costumed to represent snow, winter wind, rain, flowers, butterflies and fairies in order to awaken Lady Spring from her long win-ter Read More…

May 062011
 
Looking Back: Petrified Forest Adventures

Photo courtesy of the Navajo County Historical Society The Petrified Forest, Painted Desert and surrounding badlands have always drawn visitors to the Holbrook area, even before they were included in the national park system. Visitors and residents alike enjoyed checking out the unusual spire formations created by years of wind and rain, and thought some Read More…

Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin